Student Visa (Subclass 500)

A student visa grants the visa holder rights to live In Australia while they complete their specified education. If granted, a student visa will allow the visa holder to remain in Australia for the duration of the course and most will let you work up to 40 hours per fortnight in order to sustain yourself.

International students who are willing to study in Australia first need to apply for admission to an institution before applying for a visa. There are a number of steps involved in this process including:

  • Choosing the preferred course and institution
  • Submitting an application to the institution
  • Getting and accepting an offer letter
  • Receiving Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE)
  • Applying for Student Visa (Subclass 500) or Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590)

You might need to provide evidence of your English language skills with your Student visa application.

Additionally, you may need to provide evidence of your financial capacity with your application. You need to have enough money that is genuinely available to you, this being so you can pay for your course fees, travel and living costs for you and any accompanying family members whilst in Australia.

Student visa subclass 500 Australia migration specialists
Student visa subclass 500 Australia migration specialists

Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590)

This visa allows the guardian of a student under the age of 18 studying on a student visa to stay in Australia.

To qualify for this student visa the applicant must be a guardian, parent or relative of the student. If the applicant is a relative, this person must be 21 years or older and must also be nominated in writing by a parent or custodian of the student.

Finished your course, how can you stay?

After you finish your studies you may be eligible for a Temporary graduate 485 visa. You can use the 18 months or more this visa my give you to do things needed to increase your points in the points test, if your aiming for a skilled work visa. This may include getting work experience in your occupation or working on your English and sitting the IELTS exam to obtain a higher score. Otherwise, you may find a business to sponsor you.

Contact Migration Specialists today for your free initial student visa consultation

How long is the student visa (subclass 500) processing time?

To view visa processing time please click here